The picture is a leaf from all five Artemisias in my garden at the moment. Starting from the bottom left up then up and over, I humbly introduce to you:
* Artemisia absinthum - Most well known due to the fact that it is used in the making of the famed spirit, Absinthe. It contains an aromatic ketone called Thujone that IF OVERUSED can be neurotoxic, it is good to note but you would REALLY have to over do it to intake that much. Note: Thujone is also responsible for the PARASITE killing properties of many Artemisias.
* Artemisia douglasiana - NATIVE to NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. It contains Matricin which converts upon distillation into Azulene, which is a beautiful deep blue color, and is a well known Anti-inflammatory agent that is now synthesized and widely used. I am in love with this plant right now.
* Artemisia ludoviciana + douglasiana + sukdorfii = SILVER SURFER. I distilled it's leaves in the practice still to see if it would be blue but it was not the right time or plant part. The scent was fresh green, herbaceous, and fruity/floral. It is about to flower, perhaps I shall repeat my experiment!
* Artemisia arborescens - Jeanne Rose has a huge bush of this in her backyard, and we have distilled it in her distillation classes she teaches in June. It came out a brilliant blue (also due to Azulene) and intensely herbaceous to smell. It has been indicated for use on skin cancers and is a very special potent medicine. This was recently planted and it is expanding already!
* Artemisia ?? - This plant was already in the yard when I moved in. The leaves are a different color and thinner than the Artemisia arborescens or the absinthum. Let us know if you know what it is (bottom right of picture).
Artemisia ludoviciana var. Nutt is the one I want to grow for distillation, it is native of northern California and the essential oil is more anti-inflammatory then Roman Chamomile!! It can be found currently in our Honey Creme Cleanser, and is often used in treatments and skin detoxes. It is definitely always in my back bar and within close reach at home.
Monica Fine is an Aromatherapist, Botanical Skin-Detox Specialist, and Licensed Aesthetician based in Northern CA (Bay Area).
Services offered include Custom Aromatherapy Blends, Herbal Remedies, Face Care, Body Care, Professional Custom Product Formulation, Extraction Consultation, and Onsite Distillations.
Proudly powered by Weebly